Various smart home companies are constantly seeking new methods to incorporate their tools, which is a major advantage for you as a consumer since you can get better comfort and functionality when using their services. Therefore, it is natural to find out if a surveillance service like Vivint works well alongside Google to see if it is convenient to sign up to.
The good news is that Vivint works well with Google Home. When you integrate the two services, you can easily configure and adjust all your Vivint home security devices using voice commands, and Vivint can support additional devices that have Google Assistant integration.
Thanks to its SkyControl touch screen panel, you can easily control all Vivint devices that include your cameras, appliances, thermostat, lights, and door locks. It relies on Wi-Fi, Z-Wave technology, and RF (Radio Frequency) technology to streamline connectivity and communicate with all devices within the network.
How Google Home works
Amazon Echo and Google Home are very similar in their functionality, as they are both smart speakers. Google Home uses Google Assistant to perform plenty of tasks and streamline its operations, as well as integrating with various third-party applications to bring your smart home ambitions to life.
Google Home’s setup allows it to always listen, but it will not activate until you command it to. After activation, you can request Google Assistant and Google Home to handle the functionality of various smart devices in your home – however, it can perform many other tasks. For instance, you can use it to play multimedia files like videos and music, setting reminders, and following several voice commands.
Its high functionality is due to its reliance on Google Assistant, a highly powerful AI. Since Google is the most popular global search engine, it can deliver personalized responses to all your needs and questions. It can even enhance personalization by distinguishing the voices of you and different people, enhancing its potential as a virtual assistant.
How Vivint works
If you want a company that will offer a considerable variety of gadgets and security devices for your smart home setup, Vivint is among the best choices to check out. It will offer a wide range of tools you need, which include water sensors, CO and smoke detectors, security cameras, garage door controls, smart locks, and many more.
The good news with signing up to Vivint is that you can choose to not sign a long-term contract, unlike several years ago when this was the case. However, all the devices they will give you are proprietary, so you cannot use them with an alternative security provider. In the event that you stop your subscription to Vivint’s plans, you cannot use their equipment with other monitoring companies and security systems.
Vivint does not work well with all third-party voice assistants, but Google Home and Google Assistant are notable exceptions to the rule.
Is it necessary to integrate Google Home into Vivint?
Among the best aspects when you use Vivint is its ability to incorporate Google Assistant in functionality. This makes it possible to use any devices that have Google Assistant as well, such as your tablet or smartphone, and allows you to control your Vivint devices without relying on the Google Home speakers.
How to setup Vivint and Google Home
You must first integrate the two platforms before you start using them. This process is straightforward and easy to achieve, as it only takes a few steps:
- On your device, open the app for Google Home, go to the bottom left of the screen and tap the home icon to make sure you are on the home page. Tap the ‘+’ icon on the upper left corner of the page.
- On the popup menu, tap on ‘Set up device’.
- Scroll until you find a ‘Works with Google’ section, and tap on the link indicating ‘Have something already set up?’
- Open the search window by tapping on the magnifying glass, and search for Vivint.
- Tap the Vivint icon, and let it create a link with Google Home by tapping on ‘Allow’.
- The system will prompt you to enter your Vivint credentials, so do so and then tap on ‘Sign in’.
- After the two accounts are linked, you can begin assigning different devices to different rooms. You can either create the rooms at this time, or you may set them up prior to linking your Vivint and Google Home accounts.
- Tap on the room you want to assign a specific device. If the room you want is not there, you can scroll to the bottom of the menu and tap on ‘Add Custom Room’ to add additional spaces, then tap on ‘Next’.
- The Google Home app will then display the rooms you have set up, alongside any assigned devices in these rooms. This will simply help you confirm which devices are in which rooms.
- After you are done, you can now activate the system by saying, ‘Hey Google, sync with Vivint’. This will hasten the syncing procedure and allow Google Home to begin responding to commands.
Voice commands you can use with Google Home and Vivint
After you integrate the two platforms, you can arm the main panel, switch the lights on and off, adjust your thermostat, and lock your doors. However, due to security reasons, the voice commands will not allow disarming of the main panel.
You will only need to use your voice to control the system, and you can do so by starting with ‘OK Google’ or ‘Hey Google’. Follow this phrase with commands such as:
- Arm the security
- Close or open the garage door/main door
- Turn off or on the camera in (room name)
- Is the light off or on in (room name)?
- Set the thermostat to 85 degrees
- Did I leave the (room name) open?
- Is the front door locked or unlocked?
- What is the thermostat temperature?
Vivint is among the biggest security companies in the world, and it thankfully works well with Google Home to add convenience on your end. Setting it up is very easy, and can work in a few minutes to control various aspects of your home, whether you are physically present or in a remote location.